Friday, March 21, 2008

The Bus Ride

Have you ever been confined to a seat for 18 hours? Well, let me tell you it is not fun at all. (Acutally as I write this I'm getting a marraige proposal from a 19 year old. I've only had a couple, but this one is looking good. I've got half a million red camels which he has to go to Iraq for, (differnt than normal ones) and houses all of Egypt, and it will be honemoon all the time. haha)

Anyways, we took a bus from Luxor to Dahab, and it was the longest trip ever. We left at 5 in the afternoon and arrived at 11 the next day. Our bus was a lot nicer than the other buses we have taken. This one had new seats, and air conditioning, and it was clean. The only problem with the seats was that they were covered in plastic, every 5 seconds you would have to skooch up to keep from sliding down. We had some interesting travelers on our bus. The first was a really nice Russian man who looked really Russian. We had met him in Luxor at the bus counter and I did not need to ask him where he was from because he looked like Vladamir Putin. There were also two girls on our bus from Nevada who were studying in Torino (they were on vacation). I was not happy by the way they dressed. (Gosh I'm really going to sound like an old lady) One girl was wearing a small tight tye-dye tank top and then with a slit in the tank top that went right down to her clevage. First, If she were in the states I would tell her to put some clothes on, but she was in a muslim country! Tank tops are a no no in anywhere but the beach, but she had a cut in her shirt to make it go lower! (Some people don't reasearch before the come on vacation I think). I felt offended, and ashamed that I came from the same country, because that is another example of an Ugly American. We did have another really nice guy on our bus from England. His name is Tom. (Hi Tom, I bet your reading this) It has been funny to hear the English accent and the fact that we can't understand each other sometimes.

1 comment:

Matt Theado said...

Hi, Bailey -- I have loved catching up on all of your adventures. First, I am just overjoyed to know that you are still safe and still traveling smoothly (given the circumstances). You sound great -- and thanks for the phone call this morning too -- you sound so grown up now! Rather worldly, too.
You are seeing so much and traveling to places that are fabulously different from anywhere that you have known. One of my students who has read your blog told me that, because of your ongoing experiences, that you will always travel. Just today I read the introduction to an old travel book (the Stoddard Lectures, written back in the later 1800s by an American who traveled to all parts of the world and reported on it, kind of like you are doing --)he said in his intro that people who feel the need to travel always know of a different place where they will be happier, someplace other than where they are now, that they would like to go to. I understand that yearning. I amnot saying that is what dirves you now, but it is a real feeling and one that is hard to shake.

Please stay safe, and when the marraige proposals come -- camels or no camels -- just say "no."
Love,

Dad