Friday, March 28, 2008

Some may call me crazy

Jebel Musa was a powerful experience that I will never forget. There is a presence on that mountain that cannot be explained. A force that rackets your soul and makes your head spin, and your heart heavy. For the past year I have been going through a spiritual crisis, not knowing if there is a God, or who is right. I have been praying to the universe because thats what I believe connects us all. I was having a hard time believing, but I had peace in my mind because I trusted that the universe would provide me with the answers when I needed it. I got one of those answers on the mountain.
We were hiking up with our Bedouin guide Sobe and a huge group of people from Dahab. There are little shops every kilometer that sell snacks and drinks, and our group would stop at each one. My mom and I were searching for the quiet so we would go in front of or behind the group. We had stopped at one kiosk and my mom and I had walked a little bit ahead, my mom had turned back to ask our guide a question and I kept walking a little. I stopped and I looked up. Immediately, my heart felt like a rock that was sinking my chest in, while my head was in the clouds. The moon was full and lit up all the surrounding mountains, but Jebel Musa remained a powerful black silhouetted. I stopped and stared for about a minute in the quiet and felt a tear slide down my cheek. A man at the bottom of the mountain was saying that people come, they pray, they cry, then they leave. I was laughing at them in my mind and didn't want to be one of these babbling brooks, crying over a mountain. I felt my eyes tear up and one drop run down my cheek. I had been irritated the entire way we had climbed, why was I crying all of a sudden? I let go of my body and all feeling. Then my conscious just said to me, ( I actually ended up saying this out loud) "Everybody needs a God. No matter how strong you think you are, you need it." I had regained my mind and gave myself a very strange look, and felt very strange. Why had this idea popped into my head just then as I looked up at this huge black silhouette. I felt small, but powerful, alone and weak at the same time. After much speculation, I bet that I had been given one answer, that everyone needs a God. That does not mean that I am saying everyone should be Christian, I am just saying that everyone needs the comfort of a God. It may not even be that, because I don't even quite understand it. It was an incredible experience to just feel weak all of a sudden and have an idea pop into my head that "Everyone needs a God." Some may call me crazy, but it is my experience. The feeling of not being in my body, my heart like an anchor in my chest as my head floated up to the stars.

I always laugh at the people that think they talk to God and are spoken back to, but something talked to me that night. I had been irritated by the Americans screaming at the top of their lungs the Indiana Jones theme, and the Spanish guy going on 5 min rants that sounded like " dadadadal dkfjaldkjfajdhfkl ajhdfkaljdhfakdjhwueakda;dlkfjadlskfja;ldjfaldksjf....", but during that one second something strange happened. I didn't feel it when I was on top of the mountain or when I was climbing down, but just at that one moment with the glorious full moon lighting my face as the mountain where Moses received the 10 commandments towered over me, I think I felt God.

7 comments:

Deb said...

My Bailey! You did hear God. If you listen with your soul you will hear him again. What a great story ~ it gave me chills. Thank you so very much for sharing this wonderful event! Oh my I don't even know what to write. I love and miss you.

kdefnall said...

amen

James said...

Never give up bailey. Never. Thank you for being you and giving strength when you have no reason to have your own strength. I love you.

Matt Theado said...

"Everyone needs a God."

Beautiful.

Thanks.

Melissa said...

What a powerful experience! Thank you for sharing these insights with us.

SH said...

Bailey, this is Shana Woodward here (one of your dad's colleagues), and I have enjoyed reading your physical and mental journeys! I had a similar experience as you did when I was in Costa Rica. I was getting a spiritual body treatment at a wellness retreat on the side of a mountain...far diff. place I know, but stay w/ me...and all of a sudden something in me said, "Let go. It's okay. I've got you; you can release." And I just wepted on the table while the wonderful therapist, Lai, kept moving around me making noises and doing all these crazy things that seemed to be helping aid this voice that wanted me to release. It was God. And I, like everyone, needs Him. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bailey,
I'm just an anonymous keeping up with you and your mums blog, thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience - I feel like Im there with you, and I dont want you to leave either! Its so awesome you are experiencing something other than the usual, it will be with you for the rest of your life, always throwing a different perspective on things. I took my son to China for 6 days a couple of years ago and I know it gives him something else that not all teenagers have.

Im also glad you have had this expereience at the mountain. I believe in God, and I believe His presence is still there at the mountain where He once was with Moses those millenia ago, and Im so glad He reached out to you, Im so glad you shared it with us! Keep praying, He's listening.
xx Cathy